Friday, March 9, 2012

Wikipedia

3 Things I Learned:

  1. Wikipedia is able to do things that other encylopedias can't, like giving information to people everywhere despite things like the digital divide or poverty. I never thought about how Wikipedia would affect those who don't have quite the same resources that we do. 
  2. They only have one employee; volunteers do everything else.
  3. Running Wikipedia costs only $5,000 a month. 


2 Things I Agreed With:

  1. The real problem with vandalism on Wikipedia is between the party of the thoughtful and the party of the jerks.
  2. To be able to distribute proper information it needs to have a neutral point of view.
1 Thing I Disagreed With:
  1. Anonymous users who aren't even logged in can go and edit the site.

About article:
I wasn't surprised because there are some times that I find Wikipedia hard to understand, but the article made it sound like it is hard to understand on every topic. While I think that there are certain subjects where Wikipedia is written in a hard to understand way, I still find it more helpful than most other sites. 

Ways to Use Wikipedia:
I always use Wikipedia for background information but I have never used Wikipedia for links, keywords, or references. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent understanding of the nature of Wikipedia and how it can be used to support research!

    ReplyDelete